.

.

Instagram

Instagram

Monday 31 August 2015

The Outlaw Triathlon













The Outlaw Triathlon. I have always wanted to do a iron distance triathlon ever since I watched one years and years ago on TV. I never thought I would do one or be fit enough to do one as I was never really in to swimming, biking or running back then. I was more in to football but I did enjoy watching different types of sports and it was one event that was on my bucket list.

I took up cycling to see if I could ever tick another challenge on my bucket list, which was to cycle London to Paris, but I took it one step further and cycled from my home town in Sleaford, which was approx 150 miles north of London. Then on my return to London from Paris chose to cycle all the way back again. After that event I fell out of love with cycling and didn't really get back on my bike for 4 to 5 months. During that time I was able to put on quite a bit of weight and was at my heaviest I had ever been.
 

Wanting to change the way I looked after Christmas 2014 I took up running and was running approx 3km at a time. After a good 2 months training I did my first half marathon and there was no turning back. I entered a few road running races and obstacle courses (Including TOUGH MUDDER) and also got back out on my bike and took up swimming. In 2014 I managed to part in a few sprint triathlons and I was hooked.

Without going through my life story. I had signed up for the Outlaw triathlon and I had 9 months to get myself ready for this. The real training started In January where the 30 week count down started. It didn't take long for race day to come round and I couldn't wait t to get going.

The last 9 months included lots of different training from speed work, strength work, long endurance sessions. I was told that it would be more beneficial to not over do the endurance sessions as it would be junk miles, but to concentrate on speed work and technique.

Day before the race, I arrive at the campsite which is right near to the start of the race and it was long till the tent was up and all kit was sorted out. All I had to do was collect my race pack and go to the race brief. At this point I felt really relaxed and was looking forward to the following day and getting in to the race. After the race brief it was back to the tent for a coffee and a bite to eat and then time to get all the transition bags in order and to put my race stickers on to my bike. All kit sorted and strangely I'm still feeling quite relaxed about it all. It was then time to get all my transition bags and my bike in to the transition area.

Back at the tent it was time to just relax and eat my evening meal which was chicken and pasta, I have this before every race and I have never had a problem.

RACE DAY




Alarm goes off at 4am and straight away I hear other people up and about. Camping stove on and water boiling for coffee and porridge. Time does rush by and before you know it I am lakeside with my wetsuit on and raring to go. One last check of the bike to make sure that tyres are pumped up and bike is in the right gear.






And we're off one mass start with over a 1,000 people competing for the best line in the lake. All my open water triathlon's this year have been a nightmare, with me swimming in to people, people swimming in to me and not having any space and I expected the same in the Outlaw. I was shocked to find that from the start I had to swim round two people straight away and then I managed to find some clear water. I didn't think it would last long and I was overtaking people and still having to worry about fighting for space. The swim in triathlon can be absolutely brutal, I have had people grab my ankle and pull me back before, which is not a nice feeling.
I find myself swimming strong an hard and I forget all about sighting. Not sighting was the best decision I have made as I found myself swimming nearly right down the middle of the lake and I wasn't the only one. When I finally decided to look where I was going I thought I would just take my time and get back with the main pack. I didn't fancy doing the whole swim with out drafting of someone.
I get back with the main pack and it was nicely spread out and I was able to get on to their feet and relax before making my move and finding the next set of fast feet. Half way point and I was loving the swim, I felt so good as everything was going right and I was in a very good rhythm. I was able to keep this up all the way round on the swim and when I got close to the end of the swim I started to kick my legs quite hard and fast to get the blood pumping to try and get me ready for the 112 mile bike.

Swim Time 1:06:32

Transition was straight forward and no real issues apart from for some reason I could not find my socks. decided straight away not to bother and jut whacked my shoes on. when I had my shoes on I had a quick look in my bag and there were my socks.

Onto the bike. This was the discipline that really worried me as I didn't want to go off to fast and end up burning up towards the end and ruining my run. Also I didn't want to go to slow on the bike and end up regretting not pushing it harder on the bike. Weather was perfect on the bike, not a cloud in the sky and the wind was minimal so I decided to crack on and push it a little bit as I knew the wind and rain was on its way but I wanted to get as much of the bike out of the way. Bike was running very smooth and I was so happy with how everything was going. I have a bike mechanic that is the only person that will look after my bike. He lives close by and is very experienced and I wouldn't trust any body else with my bike. So a big thanks to Jack Harmer for keeping my bike in tip top shape.

Knowing the route also helped as no surprises were expected. Food and Hydration was going to plan and I had thought that if I needed to go to the toilet I would just stand up on my bike and go. I tried this and could not even do it. So I sat back down and worked out when the next feed station would be so I could stop and use the facilities. Next stop was Oxton Bank. At the top of the hill I get to the feed station and I was able to get done what was required. The volunteer that looked after my bike had asked me what drink I wanted which was great as it meant it was one less thing to worry about when I got back on to my bike. It didn't take me long to get going again and get back up to speed. I was really enjoying the bike and I was above the pace I was aiming at, so I knew I was on for a good time as long as my legs could handle the run.
I get about 80 miles in on the bike and it starts to rain and the wind has picked up. To be honest I don't mind riding in the rain but today I really wanted the rain to stay away. I had packed the sun screen which was not required. 32 miles to go and it was time to just think about pacing and to keep on eating and drinking to make sure that I was ready for the marathon that was getting ever closer.
Doing the Outlaw half and a bike of the course really helped as I knew what was coming up and it really helped to know where I was going on the course. Getting close to the end of the bike and still feeling good, was quite worried about this as all I had on my mind was my legs cramping up as soon as I get off the bike.

Whilst out on the bike it was great seeing my wife out on the course cheering me on and giving me the much needed support to get me through. Jess had been up from the start and was watching all the way through the swim and then was tracking me online so she could see me on the bike. Just as I was getting back to transition, I see Jess on a junction and all I could do was smile. It was so nice seeing Jess as I finished the bike section. Over the last couple of speed bumps and I was off my bike and it was amazing seeing the crowd that I come out to support us all competing.

Bike handed to the marshal and I was jogging back to the transition tent, just before I get to the tent I see a large group of Sleaford Tri3 Club cheering me on and I couldn't wait to get out on the run and to start to tick off the miles.

Bike time was 6:04:09

On to the run. I was really worried about this as on the half outlaw I pushed too hard on the bike and my legs were cramping up within the first mile of running and I didn't want that to happen again as I don't think my legs would of managed 26.2 miles of running with cramp.
No hanging about in transition and it wasn't long till I was on to the run. first 3 miles in to the run and I realise that I was running too fast and if I was to continue at this speed I would be in too much trouble by mile 10. I slowed my pace down and just enjoyed the run. All the people that had overtaken me on the bike it wasn't long till I was chasing them down on the run and getting passed them. Running has been one of my strongest disciplines in triathlon and one that I am able to push myself at. As I was out on my first big loop of the course it was great seeing some friendly and familiar faces that were marshalling and helping on the feed stations. It gave me something to look forward to as I knew I would get some great and much needed encouragement whilst out on the run. In fact all the marshals and helpers were all fantastic on the whole course, spending the whole day helping and supporting everyone competing and doing so with lots of energy. A massive thanks goes to all the volunteers that made sure the Outlaw event was a success.

Running past the Nottingham forest ground became new territory for me and now I had no idea where I was going and was relying on the person in front of me to show me the way. I had no idea how long the loop was round there so just kept to my pace and ran to the next food station. As the run goes on my legs are getting tired and I then change tactic. To walk through each food station and grab something to eat and drink. This would ensure that I keep fed and watered to make sure that I can get to the end of this race. I have never eaten so many Jaffa cakes in one day.

So I have just completed the first big loop of the course and I am back on the lake and running past the finish line and it was great seeing people finishing and also see the crowd. Hearing friends cheering my name as I ran past was brilliant and made me want to keep pushing on. As I start the second big loop I knew that it was getting difficult but my pace was still good and I had worked out that I would hit the Sub 12 hour target if I could keep this up. On my way back and nearly finishing the second loop I could feel the life drain out of my body. I could feel that my face was losing colour and I was approx. 1 km from the next feed station. I knew I just wanted to get to the feed station to walk and get plenty of food and drink on board. As I get closer a good friend Emma was running towards me and was also competing and was trying to get me to stop but I just knew that if I had stopped I probably wouldn't of been able to get going again. I just wanted to get to the food station and get something to eat an drink. The feed station couldn't come soon enough and I finally got some water and coke and crisps. I had to stop and just keep eating and drinking. This was just what I wanted I felt better again and was back running and was able to continue my race again. I hit the loop round the lake and at that moment I knew I only had two laps of the lake to do. Emma, is someone who I have met since joining the Tri3 club and Emma and her husband Sandy have been great to get advice and support from. With there knowledge and experience from the sport it really helped me with my training and race preparation.


Two laps of the lake to go approx. 10km and I was buzzing. On the first lap I just kept to my pace and I knew that I had less than an hour to go and the end was sight. As I passed the finish line all I could was smile as I knew that would be me very soon that would be running down the red carpet. As soon as I pass the finish line and collect my final wristband there was no stopping me. All the pain, the blisters that I collected on the way, the tired body had all gone. It was like I was a new man. I picked up the pace and got my arms swinging and I was smiling from ear to ear. Nothing was going to stop me now. I even started to catch people up that had over taken me and flying past them. I get to the top end of the lake and I knew that I had no more corners to turn, it was the finally straight. I again found another gear and was picking up speed. As I got closer to the finish line the crowds were getting bigger and the cheers felt louder. As soon as I made the turn on to the red carpet that was it, I knew I had done it. It was time to enjoy it. What was amazing that there was loads of the Tri 3 Triathlon club that I am a member of were there cheering me in to the finish. As I get further down the red carpet I could see the Lincolnshire flag that Jess had made to cheer me on right on the finish line. At that point it got a bit emotional. Jess had been up at the start of the day with me and had supported me all the way through out the day in the good weather and the bad. It was great crossing the finish line and stop. That was it I had completed my first Outlaw triathlon. YOU ARE AN OUTLAW.






















End of the race and I didn't feel like eating so got my photo taken with a massive glass of Erdinger and then went to go and find my wife. My legs felt like they had worked hard all day but overall I felt really good. All the training that I have put in has paid off and my body felt fine after a few days

The Outlaw Triathlon is a great event. It is one that I would love to do again in the future but not next year. Next year I have different objectives I want to achieve.

I have already been asked to do the marathon as part of a relay team next year. Which is something that really interests me as the marathon course is very flat and could possibly be a PB target for next year. So watch this space I might be back.

Now that I have completed my first Outlaw Triathlon, I have all the fun and games of decorating the house that I have managed to put off for the last 9 months.
 


 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment